English Language Proficiency Requirement
The TOEFL or IELTS exam is required to meet our language proficiency requirement(s). If you do not meet the required scores you can participate in the ELS program and obtain an ELS Level 112 Intensive English for Academic Purposes certificate.
Conditional Admission is only given to students who have not met the English language requirement and are enrolled in ELS.
**International applicants are only exempt from TOEFL or IELTS if they have a degree from an accredited institution from the states.
*Countries Exempt from English Language Requirement: American Samoa ~ Australia ~ Bahamas ~ Barbados ~ Canada (except Quebec) ~ Grenada ~ Grand Cayman ~ Guyana ~ Ireland ~ Jamaica ~ Liberia ~ New Zealand ~ Trinidad/Tobago ~ United Kingdom ~ U.S. Pacific Trust
English Language Services Program
The ELS program offers international students the opportunity to enhance their English Language skill while studying on EKU's campus. Students who receive conditional admission when applying to EKU Graduate School qualify to participate in the program. You can find further information about the ELS program by clicking here or you may contact Gwendolyn Elder, Director of Richmond ELS Language Center, at email@example.com. Students must obtain an ELS Level 112 Intensive English for Academic Purposes certificate in order to qualify for clear admission.
To be considered for conditional admission:
- EKU Graduate School Admissions Application
- EKU Graduate application Fee
- Official ELS acceptance letter
- Official Transcript evaluation
- Foreign Credential Evaluation
In order to transition from a conditional to clear admit:
- Official test scores(GRE, GMAT, MAT)-Should be taken when student reaches level 110 in ELS Program.
- Declaration of finances-Should be submittedwhen the student reaches level 110 in ELS Program.
- Official transcript from ELS showing the completion of ELS Level 112 Intensive English for Academic Purposes certificate
A student can apply for conditional admission for any degree program. However, the programs listed below have agreed to use their best efforts to review an application and have a decision within two weeks of the completed application date.
College of Arts and Sciences
- Computer Science
- English (Excludes MFA)
- Public Administration
College of Business and Technology
- Career and Technical Education
- Applied Engineering and Technology Management
- Business Administration
College of Health Sciences
- Public Health-Environmental Health
- Public Health-Community Health Education
College of Justice and Safety
- Criminal Justice
College of Education
- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies-Ed.D
- Student who have obtained conditional admission cannot take any graduate level courses until they have obtained the required ELS certificate.
- Students who have obtained conditional admission but instead decide to meet the English language requirement by taking the TOEFL or IELTS must reapply for admission. Conditional admission is only given to students who are on track to complete the ELS program.
Additional session fees include:
- $85.00 textbook, technology and facilities fee
- $150.00 per session for ELS Insurance (if needed)
- Housing (if needed & available – fees posted under “Housing”)
Initial Fees (One-time, non-refundable)
- $165.00 one-time, non-refundable application fee
- Airport Pickup (If needed – fees posted under “Housing”)